11.13.2008

Obama!







Election Tuesday was amazing! Erik and I are thrilled Obama won. The scene in Grant Park was just incredible. Mike was lucky enough to be there and to be able to walk there from his apartment even. I voted early in the morning. Woke up before the sun, put on some comfy shoes (in case there was a long line) and headed 3 blocks over to vote. Erik kept me company even though he wasn't able to vote. There was the usual amount of disorganization, but I was able to cast my vote in less than thirty minutes. It was hard to focus at work with all of the anticipation. The first poll results came in around 7pm and, while the past two elections taught me to be cautious, things were really looking up. After Obama's great speech, we went for a walk around the neighborhood. The bars and restaurants were all full and buzzing with excitement, people on the street were smiling and cheering. It was such a special (and very long) day.
The next morning morning I dragged my tired self onto the subway. Erik emailed around 11am saying he was hoping to buy a New York Times, but all of the delis on 6th Avenue were sold out. I checked 5th Avenue on my way to the gym. Nothing. It was almost a game. Finally, the guy at Universal News let me know they were even sold out right outside the Times building and people were waiting in a long line for the next shipment.
Americans love Obama...and standing in lines!

No comments: