8.19.2007

Dinners, a walking tour and JT











Can't believe another week has flown by! Last Wednesday, Erik and I went to the Justin Timberlake concert for his birthday. He was quite the entertainer. I really enjoyed the show, but couldn't help feeling like one of the older ladies in the audience (aside from all of the moms who were there with their screaming daughters). I've walked by Madison Square Garden so many times. It was great to see what finally was inside.
Thursday we had dinner with Josephine and Peter at duMont...couldn't resist the duLicious DuMac and Cheese. Josephine was clearing out her studio that day and is preparing to move to Paris in the fall. Amazing to see how her work has evolved in such a short time.
Friday we had dinner with Isabelle and Nick and heard all about their great two weeks in Seattle. A friend of a friend of theirs had just opened a new bar in Williamsburg so we went to check it out afterwards. Sleek design and great location. I imagine the place will do well.
Yesterday I went to Long Beach with Sara. I missed going to beach last weekend with Edwin and Kathy, so I was not going to miss another chance before the summer ended. The water was too cold to go in and we received spa-level skin exfoliation by the blowing sand, but we still had a great time. I also maintained my title of whitest girl on the beach for the third straight year. I was very careful to reapply sunscreen throughout the day, but this morning I realized I missed behind my knees and the top of my legs near my butt. Ouch!
This morning we slept in, cleaned the apartment, and did some laundry at our newly renovated laundromat. Also doing her laundry was a new mom with her 10 day old baby! So sweet and so tiny. Didn't make a peep.
In the afternoon we went on a walking tour (through the Municipal Art Society) of the Greenpoint/Williamsburg Waterfront. Fascinating. So much history right down the block. We learned that nearly all No.2 pencils used to be made right on Greenpoint Avenue, that many pre-civil war wooden ships were made at the end of our street, and what R6 zoning means for the changes that will come to the waterfront. Over thirty people showed up for the tour...in the rain!
Last week Marijke also celebrated her 26th birthday in her new apartment in Rotterdam. Wish we could have been there too. Happy Birthday Marijke!
I think Meisje has a little cold because she keeps sneezing. It's funny that cats can sneeze and make such a human-like sound. I wonder what other animals sneeze or if any cough? Or hiccup?

No comments: